Thursday, October 25, 2007

My Math Book Hates Me!

It's official, my math book hates me. It keeps giving me problems I can't solve. Just when I think I'm getting the grasp of something, it snickers to itself and *pop* throws something completely different at me. It enjoys seeing me suffer over it for hours.
I think it does this becuase it is only a math book and so in a large sense, can't hold much power in the world, so it get's back at people like me, who it knows will grow up to be great. Basically, it's just jealous. It's so hard being a genius....we're always underappreciated. *sigh*

So, you're probably wondering what is so hard about my math. Here's the deal, I'll post some problems, and if you can get them right, you get to send me a million dollars! I don't want anyone to ever say I never did anything for you guys, seriously.

Problem #1:
Find the first five terms of the given sequence: U1 = 4 and Un = 2Un-1 +3 for n >= 2

Problem #2:
Find the kth partial sum of the geometric sequence {Un} with common ration r: k=6, U1=5, r= 1/2

Problem #3:
An airplane flew with the wind for 2.5 hours and returned the same distance against the wind in 3.5 hours. If the cruising speed of the plane was a constant 360 mph in air, how fast was the wind blowing?

Problem #4:
A spotlight is to be placed on a building wall to illuminate a bench that is 32 feet from the base of the wall. The intensity of the light I at the bench is known to be I=x/d^3, where x is the spotlight's height above the ground and d is the distance from the bench to the spotlight.
Express I as a function of x, and find how high the spotlight should be in order to provide maximum illumination at the bench.

There, that ought to keep you guys busy for a while. At least until I can post tomorrow with the photo contest results!

Also, don't worry, I have completed all of these problems. I'm not trying to get an A from you guys.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Vanessa, Who do you think should take on these math problems? Our choices are: A) The teachers in the family; B) The engineers in the family; C) The cartographers in the family; D) The students (college, high school or recent graduates) in the family or D) RON (Geek Math Man!!)?

Please submit your votes. My vote is "D". I think I like that nickname for him a lot.