
It has been many years since we were best friends in school. I remember the good times we had: the sporting events, our dates, cruising Main Street. When we graduated, I went to State University; you attended an out of state school. We both met our spouses at college, and began our families. The distance was too great to visit each other, but we kept in touch through the mail, sending cards and letters at the holidays and special events that just had to be shared.
Our jobs moved us around the country. We documented life’s joys and struggles, wrote of our children’s adventures and accomplishments, compared our new homes to our old ones. Promotions, co-workers and bosses, projects: all were eagerly shared with each other. We carefully tucked the correspondence in an envelope, and sent it to find each other at far-away addresses.
Today, I am walking to the mailbox in eager anticipation of receiving your next letter. It is a beautiful day: the sun is shining, the grass is growing, the birds are singing. The one thing that will make this a perfect day is…
A letter in the mailbox!
3 comments:
That is so beautiful. I almost got tears in my eyes. What a great job! You are correct - it makes you stop and think about what is good.
Dad, that is awesome. Now I just need to get my tail in gear and post something... I'm sure that it won't compare to your stuff though!
Oh, I liked it! Definitely makes me want to sit down and write a letter in the hopes of receiving one!
Post a Comment