
The Paths Taken
Written by Ron on the Island of Maui. May 17, 2006.
This little Hawaiian village is on the northern shore of Maui. The beach is a rock beach: no sand, but the beach is entirely made up of rounded rocks about the size of a coconut. From the overlook where this picture was taken, you could hear the rocks grind together every time a wave crashed in to shore. Because of the distance, the grinding sound would come about midway between the waves. What must it be like to live in a house here and listen to rocks being tossed about by the waves?
I think this is the village that Richard Ho'opi'i is from. He is a famous Hawaiian falsetto singer that last year had his music put in the Smithsonian. We saw him perform at the Maui Mall last fall. His music is beautiful, and his range is incredible.
4 comments:
I remember visiting this place last year. The sound of the rocks was indeed intense - it almost raised the hair on your neck just thinking of the power of the ocean. Nice posting.
This is exciting! The stories behind the pictures make the pictures come alive. Looking forward to more touring of the islands through this awesome blog.
Hey Vanessa! Do you boogie board over the rocks? Going to library Bye!
No, I don't boogie board over the rocks. I would probably die if I did! :)
Post a Comment